|99% of all web sites are missing the 3 critical elements that make the sale.
Now that I’ve noticed the general lack of understanding of how to use a web site as a selling tool, we’re actually doing research on it – with a goal to help small business by providing easy to understand info.
The first two mistakes:
The 99% use their site as a poster with NO REASON and NO CLEAR WAY to buy right NOW from them. Just the overwhelm of getting this done turns most people into jelly!
Most businesses are started so that they can provide something of value and they’d rather spend their time doing that than the things that will grow their business. Based on our research so far, they definitely do not understand marketing – and probably dislike even thinking about it.
Even if they get the first two things right, they don’t provide a way to have a conversation – while getting their info so they can be re-marketed. That’s #3.
They don’t get help because there are too many rip-off “deals” out there and too many are too expensive for what they offer. It’s just too hard to figure out, and confusion causes apprehension.
Do you know the answer to these basic questions:
Do you know, to a laser focus, who your target market is?
The exact demographics to market to?
Where they visit on the internet? What groups they belong to?
What their exact pain is (in their words)?
Then more specifically:
How to word your “Difference” (or even what it is)?
How to structure a Call to Action?
How to add a Lead Capture Form that updates your database so you can re-market to those that are already interested (over and over)?
To develop a Call to Action, you have to understand:
- how to use scarcity and time limitations (and mean it),
- develop trust by giving info that’s valuable to your market,
- how to address apprehension (up front),
- how to give reasons that overcome any fear of buying (a guarantee),
- how to use images and structure the presentation of the sale
- that you need to tell them what to do each step of the way
The facts are that cold-calling and giveaways (unless they are large with a lot of them) do not work for most people to want to give up their personal information.
You have to find your target’s trigger!
And that can take time and many trial efforts to figure out. Most people try it once and when it doesn’t work, they give up – and that’s why the SBA stats show that 80% of all businesses fail and a large part of that 20% just get by.
The most important thing most businesses are missing is how to use their web site to make sales.
- Pose, then Solve the problem (address the pain) – understand the Why.
- Create a bond – show you understand their pain personally.
- Frame what the outcome will be if they use your product or buy your service. Example on all of our marketing – “Wouldn’t you rather be at the beach?”
- Include your credentials (authority) and/or what your customers say. (Degree and ongoing education in Psychology, 20 yrs in Corporate America as a technical consultant, 15 years as a Small Business owner, the last 6 yrs researching and testing marketing techniques, etc.)
- Give/Teach them something of value (building trust, invoking reciprocity).
- Overcome their objections by addressing them – can’t win if you don’t try!
- Give them a guarantee (or limit their risk)
- Create Urgency – time limit, only so many, etc. – that Call to Action
- Tell them what to do and make it easy for them to do it!
Let’s address problem #3 – the Conversation:
You have to add a form to each page you link to – so that you can track which marketing is working for you and so you can re-market to those (already interested) leads.
You have to judge (or know from experience) what information to ask. But the good news is that it’s much easier than you think, once you learn a few simple facts.
Every business should have someone available to them that knows not just technical, not just business and not just marketing, but how they all interface and interact.
We hope to fill that void for you.
We’ll give you valuable information that will help you right away for free – if you qualify.
Start by filling out the form (right column).